Tuesday 1 March 2016

An Importance of Photos




Last year I promised myself that I would have some good photos taken of my jewellery. I've made do, so far, with the snaps I take for my own records and, as I am not a very good photographer at the best of times, any that turn out well is more by happy accident than plan. 


I know some excellent photographers through being involved in my local art and craft scene, and all of them have a different approach to their work, but the one I felt could create the atmosphere I wanted - of my jewellery as part of the local landscape - was artist photographer Heather Marlow Stephenson, who suggested photographing my jewellery as if it is wildlife. 



It might seem like an odd choice to want my jewellery to appear as part of its environment rather than to stand out well lit against a monochrome background or on a model, as is traditional in jewellery photography. I've seen a lot of excellent studio photography commissioned by other jewellers, but I wanted a more casual style of photo that reflects my approach that precious metals and gems are a natural part of the environment, and so are the people who wear my work.


What inspires me to create is living in an area of natural beauty where many people come to escape the noise and pressures of urban life. I wanted photos of my work that grasp the feel of blowing away mental cobwebs on a windy walk, or being able to just stop and listen to birdsong, or the excitement of peering into rock pools. I would like people to wear my jewellery for all
occasions in their lives, and take it on their own adventures, but each time they wear it to also still feel that breath of fresh coastal air attached to it. 

So, after weather watching for several days, Heather gave the word and we set off on a blustery but sunny day to search the cliffs and beaches for suitable locations for our shoot. We chose limestone outcrops, gorse twigs, precarious wire fences, rivulets and rock pools for our photos.



Seeing my jewellery through a nature photographer's eyes and lenses was a revelation. I had said that I wanted my jewellery to be part of the landscape, and that's what I got! I was used to focusing on the clarity and detail of each piece to try to convey the design skills and technical processes involved, but Heather's perspective was completely different focusing instead on how the jewellery affected the natural surroundings and the photo as a whole. 



I worried that my work would disappear, while Heather was pleased with the tossing and ripples it created. 





Nonetheless, we appreciated each other's approaches and had a very thrilling day outdoors. This page shows some of our work, and I'm delighted with the outcome.